Skip to main content

My HF Transceiver Projects - Yaesu FT-101 and Sommerkamp FT-277E

So, having completed the Foundation exam in April 2021, the Intermediate exam in May and the Advanced exam in June  and got my callsigns M7RBE, 2E0HGA and M0RLF (RaLF) I figured one of my next steps was to look at HF Transcievers and see if I could get one at an affordable price. So I had a few watches on Ebay week after week and learned about a few of the more popular classic models. I had a short-list of Kenwood, Icom and the value favourite, Yaesu. Most where selling as mostly working and complete for around 400 - 600 GBP. I knew I would be happy to do some work and use that experience to feel my Youtube channel as I have done other projects like recondition a Yamaha Pacifica Electric Guitar and Marshall practice amplifier before I started the channel and had worked in Electronics for 25 years includinh a stint at Racal Communications on, yes, HF Transceivers.

Then on Thursday this week my eyes lit up, a Yaesu FT-101B in 'unknown' condition but appearing complete, i.e. all knobs and dials. Then I looked closer, there was also a Sommerkamp FT-277E (Identical  to the Yaesu FT-101E) in the deal too. A quick search for FT-101 parts revealed quite a range of bits at sensible prices. These had no mics or mains leads and the Yeasu featured some sort of audio processor too. A quick glance at the specs on other sites showed these are 1.8 Mhz to 29 Mhz receive and 100 watts SSB power on Tx and the Tx side featured a large number of FET stages  and transistors while the transmitter uses 3 valves. A great combination for robust radio. I later found out that is has a fairly unique arrangement of a large mains transformer which can run the set from 100, 110, 117, 200, 220 , 234 volts AC but amazingly also feed 12-13.8 volts DC into the built in invertor using the same transformer. This will generate the required output voltages of +13.5, -100, +160, +300, +600 volts DC. Even 100 volts AC for the cooling fan which operates only when transmitting.

Now these where being sold on behalf of an operator who had passed away, they where also finishing the bidding at 2:00pm when most people are at work. I work from home so easy to bid and there was only one bid on already. Let's just say I got it for 2 GBP more than the starting bid. So here they are cleaned up -

The Yaesu FT-101B - the Sherman tank of radios

The Sommerkamp FT-277E, same as FT-101E

Now I am under no illusions, I bought these cheap, in unknown condition and effectively imcomplete. Initial inspections reveals that the internals have minor damp damage which I do not believe will affect them. The internals feature 4 plug-in circuit boards, so most of them are the same in both receivers which will aid fault finding. The mains lead is a critical piece of equipment as it also forms the voltage selector so you cannot just buy a USA lead and swap the plug and these are selling for over 46 GBP on Ebay plus shipping! Rather than pay that I managed to source the 12 pin 'Cinch Jones 12 pin Female Socket' on Ebay from a guy so close he offered to deliver it by hand and for a tenth of the USA lead price. Sure I'll have to construct a mains lead but that is straighforward enough and cost another couple of GBPs.

*** Caution *** the pin numbers on Cinch Jones connectors are reversed compared to original ones  and will certainly cause damage if heed is not paid to this!


Cinch Jones 12 pin female plug


 

High imepedance replacement mic

The PTT Microphone is available for a few places but a fellow amateur suggested Technofix UK https://www.technofix.uk/. I am always willing to take advice from those who have done it before. After annoucing my project on Facebook 4 other operators said they had FT-101's in use and one guy was the original owner of this 50 year old beast!

Another useful resource is Fox Tango http://foxtango.org/ft101/foxtangoft101.htm which has been going for many years and was moved form the old Yahoo group.


Yaesu FT-101 video 'First peek' https://youtu.be/rdKmG3AKB8A

Sommerkamp FT-227E video 'First peek' https://youtu.be/tRtG1RBcPfM

I will continue to update this page as I find out more and progress this project!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setting up a PI-Star MMDVM hotspot node with a Raspberry PI

 The first thing is to download the Pi-Star software from https://www.pistar.uk/downloads/ , at time of writing the current version is Pi-Star_RPi_V4.1.5_21-Jun-2021.zip ,but you should get the latest available. I used a Raspberry PI 3B but it is possible to use a PI Zero W or other model. You should then use either Etcher, or the Raspberry Pi imager to copy the image to your SD card, which should be at least 4GB and Class 10 or better, I used a 16GB simply because they are available for little money these days. Simply put the SD card into your PI and attach a monitor and keyboard via USB connection. The PI should boot with the usual rainbow screen, the default login is pi-star and the password raspberry. We will change these soon. To find out what IP address your pi is on type ifconfig and hit return. If you are connected via ethernet you will be able to type http://pi-star.local into a browser and access the dashboard as below - This will redirect after 10 seconds and you will be pre

Baofeng UV-S9 - a practical user guide

Having bought one of these transceivers recently I was firstly disappointed in the User Manual, it is in extremely small print, barely 4 point and my first searches online brought a pdf of the same manual scanned badly which was not much of an improvement. Also it is a reference guide rather than a how-to. I think many people would prefer to learn how to use the radio as well as which buttons to press with context. I am only covering the basics as I think once you know those then you will figure out the rest using the two manuals I have linked to below. So here we go! The Baofeng UV-S9 Transceiver, around £25 on Ebay Caution, two things are very important to know before we begin. Firstly it is illegal to transmit on any band that you do not hold a license for. You must check with your licencing authority, which in the UK is Ofcom https://www.ofcom.org.uk. PMR446 is not currently legal for a radio which does not have a fixed antenna and it is illegal to use a Baofeng for this purpose. A

Xiegu G1M - FT8 and CAT control imcompatibility

 So, having set up WSJT-X and made up cables for the Xiegu G1M I did manage to make a couple of contacts, well four to be exact I had difficulty keeping Transmit mode open and there was some weird VFO A-B switching and delays happening. I was starting to get pissed off.  I had been using the WSJT-X config set up Icom IC-7000 and IC-765 Pro as other people where doing the same, not very satisfactory and very frustrating. After much digging I managed to find out more info on the Xiegu forum at https://groups.io/g/XIEGU-G1M/message/461 . Seems that FLRIG was more suitable that the built in controller in WSJT-X, so I downloaded it from  http://www.w1hkj.com/  and installed it prior to running WSJT-X. After an hour or more of trying other peoples recommendations of Icoms and other rigs I started afresh. To control a Xiegu we need Xiegu thinking. Of course the G1M isn't listed in the devices yet, but the G90 is. Surely we could make that work as most manufacturers use a specific chip in